Amanda Verienna Hayman, MD, MPH, FACS, FASCRS
Patients place an incredible amount of faith and trust in their surgeon. As colorectal surgeons, we must be technically excellent, but also empathetic and patient. We must be able to treat all aspects of the patient, not just their acute gastrointestinal problem. In the words of Dr. William J. Mayo, 'The best interest of the patient is the only interest to be considered'.
Dr. Hayman grew up outside of Chicago and completed her undergraduate education at Tufts University. She then received an MD, as well as a Masters in Public Health degree, at OHSU, followed by a general surgery internship and residency at Northwestern in Chicago, including a two year clinical research fellowship in surgical oncology. During her final year, she served as administrative chief resident. She then underwent fellowship training in colon and rectal surgery at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester, Minnesota prior to happily moving back to Portland to take her current position at The Oregon Clinic.
Dr. Hayman holds a number of leadership positions within The Oregon Clinic and Providence Health Services. She has been awarded Portland Monthly's "Top Doctor" Award for Colon & Rectal Surgery in 2015 and 2016. She always strives to provide compassionate care, resulting in awards from the Mayo Clinic and Northwestern Memorial Hospital. During residency, she was also lauded for excellence in teaching residents and medical students. Lastly, she has presented results from a variety of colon and rectal research projects at both local and national surgical conferences, receiving multiple “Best Presentation” awards.
Education & Honors
- Colon & Rectal Surgery
- General Surgery
- Fellowship, Colon & Rectal Surgery, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2014
- Internship and Residency, General Surgery, Feinberg School of Medicine, Northwestern University, Chicago, IL, 2013
- MD/MPH, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2006
- BS, Biology, Tufts University, Medford, MA, 1999
- Chairperson and Founder, Gastrointestinal Cancer Tumor Board, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, 2010 - 2011
- MD/MPH Student Council President, OHSU Department of Public Health, 2004 - 2005
- Director, Enhanced Recovery after Surgery Program, Providence Health Systems, 2015 - Present
- Leader, Perioperative Clinical Performance Group, 2015 - Present
- Perioperative Quality Improvement Officer, Oregon Region, 2016 - Present
- Champion, ACS NSQIP Surgeon, 2016 - Present
- Member, The American Society of Colon and Rectal Surgeons Quality Improvement Committee, 2014 - Present
- Member, The Oregon Clinic Information Technology Steering Committee, 2014 - Present
- Member, The Oregon Clinic Marketing Committee, 2014 - 2016
- Director, The Oregon Clinic Pelvic Floor Collaborative, 2014 - Present
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors," 2015, 2016, 2018 - 2023
- Mayo Clinic “Above and Beyond” Award for Compassion, 2014
- Harold L. Method Award for Outstanding Performance as a Chief Surgical Resident, Northwestern University Department of Surgery, 2013
- Susan L. Pearlman Award Nominee for Compassionate Care, Northwestern Memorial, 2013
- Hilary Sanfey Outstanding Resident Award, Association of Women Surgeons, 2012
- Resident as Teacher Award for Excellence in Teaching, Northwestern University Department of Surgery, 2009, 2012, and 2013
- Outstanding Resident Teacher Award Nominee, Association of Surgical Education, 2011
- Excellence in Medical Student Teaching award, Northwestern University, 2009 and 2011
- Excellence in Research Award, Hines VA HSR&D Research Week, 2013
- Allen Kanaval Scholar Award for Research Excellence, 2012
- Best Resident Research Presentation, Chicago Soc. of Colon & Rectal Surgeons, 2011, 2012
- Best Resident Presentation, Northwest Society of Colon & Rectal Surgeons, 2011
- Best Resident Quality Improvement Project, Northwestern University Department of Surgery, 2010
- Notable Oral Presentation, Digestive Disease Week, 2011
- Lloyd Rogers Award, Best Overall Presentation, Association of VA Surgeons, 2010
- Outstanding Talk Award and Fellowship Recipient, OHSU Student Research Foundation, 2005
- Outstanding Poster Award, Oregon MPH Symposium, 2003
- Best Poster Award, International Health Medical Education Consortium, 2003
- Baker MS, Sherman KL, Stocker S, Hayman AV, Bentrem DJ, Prinz RA, Talamonti MS. “Defining quality for distal pancreatectomy: does the laparoscopic approach protect patients from poor quality outcomes?” J Gastrointest Surg. 2013 Feb; 17(2):273-80.
- Baker MB, Stocker SJ, Sherman KL, Hayman AV, Bentrem DJ, Talamonti MS. “Using a modification of the Clavien-Dindo system accounting for readmissions and multiple interventions: defining quality for pancreaticoduodenectomy”. J Surg Oncol. 2014 Sep;110(4):400-6.
- Bergquist J, Thiels C, Shubert C, Habermann E, Hayman A, Zielinski M, Mathis K.”Is therapy in addition to surgery for stage II and III rectal cancer beneficial in the elderly? A National Cancer Data Base (NCDB) study.” World J Surg 2015 , 40(2), 447-455.
- Bergquist JR, Thiels CA, Spindler BA, Shubert CR, Hayman AV, Kelley SR, Larson DW, Habermann EB, Pemberton JH, Mathis KL. “Benefit of postresection adjuvant chemotherapy for stage III colon cancer in octogenarians: analysis of the National Cancer Database”. DCR 2016 Dec;59(12):1142-1149.
- Bilimoria KY, Phillips JD, Rock CE, Hayman A, Prystowsky JB, Bentrem DJ. “Effect of surgeon training, specialization, and experience on outcomes for cancer surgery: a systematic review of the literature.” Ann Surg Oncol. 2009 Jul: 16(7): 1799-808.
- Hayman AV, Bentrem DJ. “Understanding the effect of obesity on patient outcomes after cancer surgery (Commentary)”. J Surg Res 166(2):214-216 (2011).
- Hayman AV, Chang ET, Molokie RE, Kahng LS, Prystowsky JB, Bentrem DJ. “Assessing compliance with national quality measures to improve colorectal cancer care at the VA”. Amer J Surg. 2010 Nov; 200(5):572-6.
- Hayman AV, Fisher MJ, Kluz T, Merkow RP, Wang EC, Bentrem DJ. “Is Illinois heeding the call to regionalize pancreatic surgery?” J Surg Oncol. 2013 Jan 17.
- Hayman AV, Guihan M, Fisher MJ, Anaya B, Parachuri R, Bentrem DJ. “Colonoscopy is high yield in spinal cord injury”. J Spinal Cord Med. 2013 April 11.
- Hayman AV, Halverson AL. “Health-related quality of life in colon and rectal disease”. Sem Col Rectal Surg, 22(4):226-230, 2011.
- Hayman AV, Sofair AN, Manos MM, Thomas A, Terrault N, Ness GV, Stabach N, Robert M, Rumore G, Corless C, Bell B, Bialek S, Zaman A. “Prevalence and predictors of hepatic steatosis in adults with newly diagnosed chronic liver disease due to hepatitis C.” Medicine (Baltimore). 2009 Sep;88(5):302-6.
- Hayman AV, Stocker SJ, Baker MS, Marsh RD, Bentrem DJ, Talamonti MS. “CA 19-9 non-production is associated with worse prognosis in pancreatic cancer”. Am J Clin Oncol. 2013 Feb 20.
- Hayman AV, Tarpley JL, Berger DH, Wilson MA, Livingston EH, Kibbe MR. “How is the Department of Veterans Affairs addressing the new Accreditation Council for Graduate Medical Education intern work hour limitations?.” Am J Surg. 2012 Nov; 204(5):655-62.
- Thiels CA, Bergquist JR, Meyers AJ, Johnson CL, Behm KT, Hayman AV, Habermann EB, Larson DW, Mathis KL. “Outcomes with multimodal therapy for elderly patients with rectal cancer.” BJS. Epub December 2015.
- Turner JP, Rodriguez HE, DaRosa DA, Daskin MS, Hayman A, Mehrotra S. “Northwestern University Feinberg School of Medicine Uses Operations Research Tools to Improve Surgeon Training”. Interfaces 2013 Aug 1; 43(4): 341-351.
- Prevention of Infection after Colorectal Surgery Committee Member, Northwestern Memorial Hospital Committees, 2011 - 2013
- Cardiac Arrest Team Committee Member, Northwestern Memorial Hospital Committees, 2011 - 2013
- Patient Throughput Committee Member, Northwestern Memorial Hospital Committees, 2010 - 2013
- Chief Resident Leadership Forum, Northwestern Memorial Hospital Committees, 2011 - 2013
- American College of Surgeons, Resident Member, American College of Surgeons, 2006 - present
- Participant, Surgical Leadership Course, American College of Surgeons, 2011
- Participant, Joint Surgical Advocacy Course, American College of Surgeons, 2011
- Participant, Joint Surgical Advocacy Course, American College of Surgeons, 2011
- Colorectal Cancer Improvement Committee, Jesse Brown VA Medical Center, 2009 - 2011
- Physician Scientist Training Program, Dept of Surgery Representative, Northwestern University, 2009-2011
- Department of Surgery International Rotation Liaison, Northwestern University, 2008-2011