Ryan Best, MD
I believe that my role as a physician is to be a navigator and guide rather than to dictate a course of action. Modern medicine enables us to do amazing things, and my goal is to work with my patients to decide the best course of action, whether or not we decide to utilize those treatments.
Dr. Best believes that being able to work both in pulmonology and in critical care medicine provides a great variety of opportunities. He loves to teach, both to trainees and his patients.
Dr. Best enjoys working with a patient to find what is BEST for them, rather than just pressing forward with a treatment.
Dr. Best is a huge music lover. His first degree was in music and he tries to stay involved as much as he can, whether playing guitar, going to live performances, or just listening to music with friends.
Outside of work, Dr. Best loves to cook and enjoy the outdoors, especially cycling, running, and hiking. He has also become a decent woodworker and enjoys building things for himself and others.
Education & Honors
- Critical Care Medicine – Board Certified
- Pulmonary Medicine – Board Certified
- Fellowship, Pulmonary & Critical Care Medicine, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME, 2022
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Maine Medical Center, Portland, ME, 2018
- MD, University of Colorado School of Medicine, Aurora, CO, 2015
- BS, Biology, University of Colorado at Colorado Springs, Colorado Springs, CO, 2011
- BA, Music, Texas A&M University, College Station, TX, 2004
- Peter Bates Teaching Award, 2021
- Member, American Thoracic Society
- Member, American College of Chest Physicians
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Member, American Medical Association
News & Press:
- Letter to the Editor: Addiction is a disease, not a character flaw, Portland Press Herald