Justine Hum, MD
One of the most important things I can do as a physician is to take to the time to educate patients on their disease. With knowledge of the disease process and treatments, patients can feel empowered to make the best decisions for their health and well-being.
Dr. Hum was drawn to the field of gastroenterology because she is interested in how the gut, liver and pancreas work together to help nourish our bodies.
Dr. Hum enjoys helping patients improve their quality of life and finds it rewarding when a patient feels an improvement in their symptoms. She is also passionate about how patients can benefit from the latest technological advancement in treating gastroenterological diseases, including screening colonoscopies and the removal of polyps to prevent cancer.
Outside of work, Dr. Hum likes to cook and spend time outdoors doing landscape photography with her husband and dog.
- Fellowship, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2020
- Residency, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2017
- MD, University of Vermont, College of Medicine, Burlington, VT, 2014
- BA, University of California, Berkeley, Berkeley, CA, 2009
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors", 2022
- Fellow Teaching Award, OHSU, 2018, 2019, 2020
- AASLD Emerging Liver Scholar Award, 2016
- Hum J, Amador D, Shatzel JJ, Naugler WS, Ahn J, Zaman A, Chang M, Jou JH. Thromboelastography Better Reflects Hemostatic Abnormalities in Cirrhotics Compared with the International Normalized Ratio. Journal of Clinical Gastroenterology. 2019 Nov 19.
- Liu P, Hum J, Jou JH, Scanlan RM, Shatzel, JJ. Transfusion strategies in patients with cirrhosis. European Journal of Haematology. 2019 Oct 29.
- Olson SR, Koprowski S, Hum J, McCarthy OJ, DeLoughery TG, Shatzel JJ. Chronic liver disease, thrombocytopenia and procedural bleeding risk; are novel thrombopoietin mimetics the solution? Platelets. 2018, Nov 13: 1-3.
- Shatzel JJ, O’donnell M, Olson SR,Kearney, MR, Daughety MM, Hum J, Nguyen KP, DeLoughery TG. Venous Thrombosis in Unusual Sites: A practical review for the hematologist. European Journal of Haematology. 2018 Sep 28; 102(1):53-62.
- O’donnell M, Shatzel JJ, Olson SR, Daughety MM, Nguyen KP, Hum J, DeLoughery TG. Arterial thrombosis in unsual sites: a practical review. European Journal of Haematology. 2018, Aug 21; 101(6): 728-736.
- Hum J, Jou JH. The link between hepatitis C virus and diabetes mellitus: Improvement in insulin resistance after eradication of hepatitis C virus. Clinical Liver Disease. https://doi.org/10.1002/cld.694. 2018 Apr 6.
- Hum J, Jou JH, Green PK, Berry K, Lundblad J, Hettinger BD, Chang M, Ioannou GN. Improvement in glycemic control of type 2 diabetes after successful treatment of hepatitis C virus. Diabetes Care. 2017 Sep 1;40(9):1173-80.
- Hum J, Shatzel JJ, Jou JH, Deloughery TG. The effectiveness and safety of direct oral anticoagulants vs. traditional anticoagulants in patients with cirrhosis: a single-center retrospective cohort study. European Journal of Haematology 2017 Jan 4;98(4): 3
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology
- Member, American Gastroenterology Association
- Member, American Association for the Study of Liver Diseases