Eric Hansen, MD
My expert team provides state of the art, evidence-based care. I individualize my treatment recommendations and treat each patient as I would my own family. My focuses are cure, comfort, and quality of life.
Dr. Hansen is a Board Certified Radiation Oncologist. He graduated with honors from Yale University (BA) and Oregon Health & Science University (MD). He completed his radiation oncology residency at University of California San Francisco (UCSF). Dr. Hansen served as President of the Oregon Radiation Oncology Society and is a member of the American Society of Radiation Oncology. He was selected by President Clinton as a United States Presidential Scholar. Dr. Hansen is Editor of "Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology," a leading medical text used by Radiation Oncologists worldwide.
Dr. Hansen is originally from Portland, OR. He enjoys hiking, outdoor activities, and sports with his wife, 3 children, and dog. He is a technology enthusiast, book lover, and fan of the Trailblazers, Timbers, Thorns, and athletes throughout Oregon.
Education & Honors
- Residency, Radiation Oncology, University of California, San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, 2007
- Internship, Internal Medicine, St. Mary’s Medical Center, San Francisco, CA, 2003
- MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2002
- BA, Yale University, New Haven, CT, 1998
- Former President of the Oregon Radiation Oncology Society
- Radiation Oncology Institute panel member that determined the most pressing national Radiation Oncology research needs
- Wrote editorials for a nationwide journal club for Radiation Oncologists
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors," 2012, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018
- United States Presidential Scholar, Selected by President Clinton
- Chief Resident, Radiation Oncology, University of California San Francisco (UCSF)
- Magna Cum Laude, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
- Phi Beta Kappa, Yale University
- Magna Cum Laude, Yale University
- Hansen EK, Roach MR (Editors). Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology, 3nd Edition. New York, NY: Springer; 2017
- Elliott DA, Nabavizadeh N, Seung S, Hansen EK, Holland JM. Radiation Oncology. In: Contemporary management of oral, head and neck squamous cell carcinoma. New York, NY: Elsevier; 2015.
- Bicquart C, Hansen EK, Thomas CR (Editors). Radiation Oncology Study Guide. New York, NY: Springer; 2013
- Luick ML, Hansen EK, Greenberg MS, Kim R, Owens M, Moore CJ, Flores M. Primary tracheal non-Hodgkin’s lymphoma. J Clin Oncol 2011; 29(8): 193-5.
- Kollmansberger C, Daneshmand S, Hansen EK, et al. Testis Cancer. In: Cancer Medicine, 8th Edition. Shelton, CT: People’s Medical Publishing House; 2010.
- Seung S, Bae J, Solhjem M, Bader S, Gannett D, Hansen EK, Louie J, Underhill K, Cha C. IMRT for head and neck cancer in the community setting. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2008; 15;72(4):1075-81
- Patel S, Hansen E, Wallner P. Transition from residency to your first job. In: American College of Radiation Oncology Practice Management Guide 2008.
- Ezzell LC, Hansen EK, Quivey JM, and Xia P. Detection of treatment setup errors between two CT scans for patients with head and neck cancer. Med Phys 2007; 34: 3233-3242
- Patel S, Jagsi R, Wilson J, Frank S, Thakker V, and Hansen EK. Results of the 2004 Association of Residents in Radiation Oncology (ARRO) Survey. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 66: 1199-1203
- Hansen EK, Larson DA, Aubin M, Chen J, Descovich M, Gillis AM, Morin O, Xia P, Pouliot J. Image guided radiotherapy using megavoltage cone-beam CT for treatment of paraspinous tumors in the presence of orthopedic hardware. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 66: 323-326
- Hansen EK, Bucci MK, Quivey JM, Weinberg V, Xia P. Repeat CT imaging and re-planning during the course of IMRT for head and neck cancer. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys 2006; 64: 355-362
- Hansen E, Donohoe M. Health issues of migrant and seasonal farmworkers. J Health Care Poor Underserved 2003; 14: 153-164
- Hansen E, Panwala K, Holland J. Postoperative radiation therapy for advanced-stage oropharynx cancer. J Laryngol Otol 2002; 116: 920-924
- Wharton C, Grafman J, Flitman S, Hansen E, Brauner J, Marks R, Honda M. Towards neuroanatomical models of analogy: A positron emission tomography study of analogical mapping. Cognit Psychol 2000; 40: 173-197
- Wharton C, Grafman J, Flitman S, Hansen E, Brauner J, Marks A, & Honda M. The neuroanatomy of analogical reasoning. In: Holyoak K, Gentner D, Kokinov B, eds. Advances in analogy research: Integration of theory and data from the cognitive, computational, and neural sciences. Sophia, Bulgaria: New Bulgarian University; 1998: 260-269
- Committee Member, Providence Cancer Society
- Member, School Advisory Committee
- Coaching, Soccer and Basketball teams
- Article Reviewer, Scientific Journals
- Editor, "Handbook of Evidence-Based Radiation Oncology." This leading medical text is used by Radiation Oncologists worldwide, and has been translated to Japanese, Turkish, Chinese, and Russian editions.
- Dr. Hansen's research has been published in leading scientific journals and presented at national and regional meetings.
- He wrote editorials for a nationwide journal club for Radiation Oncologists.
- He served on the Radiation Oncology Institute Dephi Panel to determine the most pressing national Radiation Oncology research needs.
- He is a member of the American Society of Radiation Oncology and the American Radium Society.