Ryan Childers, MD
My goal as a doctor is to thoroughly understand a patient’s disease, but to also know the patient as a person. Every patient is different, and knowing how their lives and families are affected by disease is crucial to crafting a patient-centered approach to treatment and wellness through compassion, understanding, and respect.
Dr. Childers earned his undergraduate degree from The Barrett Honors College at Arizona State University with highest honors, and received his medical degree from Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine in Baltimore, Maryland. He stayed at Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center for his internal medicine residency and for an additional year as Assistant Chief of Service (Chief Resident). He then moved to Portland, Oregon to complete his fellowship in gastroenterology at Oregon Health and Science University, where he received two teaching awards.
Prior to joining The Oregon Clinic Gastroenterology – South, he performed published research in inflammatory bowel disease and quality processes for endoscopy and clinical practice. Dr. Childers is a member of the American Gastroenterological Association and the American College of Gastroenterology.
He enjoys spending time with his wife and kids, reading, playing guitar, cooking, exploring the outdoors, and watching the Portland Timbers.
- Fellowship, Gastroenterology and Hepatology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2016
- Assistant Chief of Service (Chief Resident), Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2013
- Internship and Residency, Internal Medicine, Johns Hopkins Bayview Medical Center, Baltimore, MD, 2012
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, Baltimore, MD, 2009
- BS, Biology and Society, Arizona State University, Tempe, AZ, 2005
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors", 2019
- Fellow Teaching Award, Oregon Health and Science University; selected annually by Department of Medicine house staff. 2013-2014 and 2014-2015
- Florence Sabin College Award, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine, 2009
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association
- Member, American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Member, American College of Gastroenterology