Richard Auran, MD
I work with my patients to treat degenerative disorders of the hip and knee, through non-operative and surgical options when appropriate, keeping them functioning at their best and doing the activities they love.
Dr. Auran chose to pursue a career in orthopaedic surgery in order to provide direct and lasting impacts in his patients' lives. Through various treatment options, he works with his patients to keep them doing what they love and continuing to function at their best. Dr. Auran is motivated by the significant improvements he sees in his patients, and he enjoys sharing in their success during and after treatment.
Dr. Auran is fellowship-trained in adult hip and knee reconstruction. This gives him an extensive background in primary and revision hip and knee replacement. He has experience working with many different surgical device companies and robotic systems, allowing him to tailor surgical treatment to each patient to maximize their outcomes. For hip replacement, he performs a unique minimally invasive technique called the Direct Superior approach. This allows his patients to recover rapidly after surgery and get back to their lives with as little interruption as possible.
Dr. Auran believes there are many great aspects of being an orthopaedic surgeon, but by far the most rewarding is hearing from patients that they have returned to an activity they haven't been able to perform for months or years because of the pain they were experiencing. Whether it is getting back to walking 18 holes of golf, hiking, biking, dancing, or playing with grandchildren, Dr. Auran has seen it all and will continue to work his hardest to provide these opportunities to his patients.
Dr. Auran was very excited to relocate to the Portland area because of the significant natural beauty of the surrounding area and unending opportunities for outdoor activities.
Outside of work, he enjoys spending time with his family, playing with their dog, hiking, and skiing.
- Joint Reconstruction Fellowship, Cedars-Sinai Medical Center, Los Angeles, CA, 2023
- Orthopedic Surgery Residency, University of Arizona College of Medicine, Phoenix, AZ, 2022
- Doctor of Medicine, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine, Los Angeles, CA, 2017
- Bachelor of Science, Biomedical Engineering, University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering, Los Angeles, CA, 2013
- University of Arizona College of Medicine - Phoenix Orthopaedic Surgery Residency Academic Performance Award (2019-2022)
- University of Southern California Non-Faculty Instructor Teaching Award (2017)
- Keck School of Medicine of the University of Southern California, Doctor of Medicine, Graduation with Highest Distinction (2017)
- University of Southern California Viterbi School of Engineering, Bachelor of Science in Biomedical Engineering, summa cum laude (2013)
- Auran RL, Tran TL, Dehghan N, McKee MD, Lederman ES. Reliability of current classification systems for periprosthetic fractures of the humerus. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2023;37(2):83-88.
- Auran RL, Martin JR, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of metastatic disease in long bones. Journal of Orthopaedic Trauma. 2022;36(9):481-488.
- Auran RL, Ashby SL, Hitt KD, Jacofsky DJ. Preoperative activity level an indicator of postoperative functional outcomes with a contemporary revision total knee system. Journal of Knee Surgery. Epub 2022 Jul 11.
- Jacofsky MC, Auran RL, Williams A, Mauro S, Sietsema D. Exposure related anxiety and improving patient satisfaction with medical undergarments during surgery: A randomized controlled trial. Journal of Bone and Joint Surgery. 2022;104(15):1380-1385.
- Martin JR, Auran RL, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of pathologic fractures around the knee: Part 2 – proximal tibia. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2022;35(6):619-624.
- Martin JR, Auran RL, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of pathologic fractures around the knee: Part 1 – distal femur. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2022;35(6):607-618.
- Auran RL, Martin JR, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Evaluation and management of intra-articular tumors of the knee. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2022;35(6):597-606.
- Martin JR, Auran RL, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of primary aggressive tumors of the knee. Journal of Knee Surgery. 2022;35(6):585-596.
- Auran RL, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of pathologic fractures around the hip: Part 2 – acetabulum. Journal of Hip Surgery. 2019;3:104-112.
- Auran RL, Duran MD, de Comas AM, Jacofsky DJ. Management of pathologic fractures around the hip: Part 1 – femur. Journal of Hip Surgery. 2019;3:93-103.
- Candidate Member, American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons
- Member, Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society