Michael Phillips, MD
I view my role as a physician to be primarily that of an educator in the lives of my patients. I attempt to provide insight and information to my patients thus enabling them to better understand their unique situation. Through a better understanding of health, disease process, and treatment alternatives the patient and I can develop a plan together that will define expectations and meet their needs.
Dr. Phillips graduated from Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). He completed his internship and residency in internal medicine at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. Dr. Phillips finished his fellowship in gastroenterology also at the University of Colorado Health Sciences Center. He was the first physician in Oregon to perform endoscopic ultrasound. Dr. Philips pursued additional training in medical informatics, a specialty of medicine involving the use and development of electronic health records. He is board certified in gastroenterology, medical informatics and internal medicine. Dr. Phillips is a member of several organizations including the American Gastroenterology Association, the American College of Gastroenterology, the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy and the American Medical Informatics Association. He has also been featured as a Top Doctor in Portland Monthly Magazine. Dr. Phillips treats his patients at The Oregon Clinic Gastroenterology East.
In his free time, Dr Phillips enjoys hiking, cycling, gardening and beekeeping.
Education & Honors
- Internal Medicine
- Clinical Informatics
- Fellowship, Gastroenterology, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 1992
- Residency, Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 1989
- Internship, Internal Medicine, University of Colorado Health Sciences Center, Denver, CO, 1987
- MD, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1986
- BS, General Science, Oregon State University, Corvallis, OR, 1982
- Co-Chairman, Informatics Council, Providence Portland
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors," 2006-2009, 2011, 2013, 2014, 2016, 2019-2023
- Diplomate in Clinical Informatics of the American Board of Preventive Medicine
- Member, North Pacific Society of Internal Medicine
- Member, American Gastroenterology Association
- Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Member, American College of Physicians
- Member, American Society of Parenteral Enteral Nutrition
- Member, The Oregon Medical Association
- Member, Informatics Oversight Council, Providence Oregon