Summer is a great time to get outside and enjoy barbecues, campfires, and fireworks. Unfortunately, with all this fun comes some risk — burns are a common cause of injury during the summer months, especially in July. Here a few safety tips to help bring in the summer festivities with a bang — and without injury.
Did you know?
- Fireworks and the fires they cause injure more than American 10,000 every year.
- Outside grills can cause as many as 6,000 fires & 170 injuries per year.
General Summer Safety
- Wear shoes when you walk on sandy beaches, pavement or blacktop, which can heat up quickly.
- Install smoke detectors on every level of your home and test monthly.
- Stop, drop, and roll if your clothing catches fire.
- Store matches and lighters up high, out of children’s reach.
- Leave the fireworks to the professionals and attend public displays. Please note that Portland banned the sale and use of all fireworks in early 2022. Read more about the ordinance, as well as alternative ways to celebrate, here.
- Never add flammable liquid to a fire that’s already burning.
- Build your fire in a designated fire pit.
- Put out fires or barbecues with water, not just sand.
- Keep kids away from stoves, barbecues, gas grills, ovens, and other outdoor cooking areas.
- Perform routine maintenance on gas grills to prevent clogs and leaks.
About The Oregon Clinic General Surgery & Burn Specialists
Our General Surgery and Burn Specialists have proudly partnered with the Legacy Oregon Burn Center (OBC) on their burn team since they were established in 1973. The OBC is a national leader in burn care as verified by the American Burn Association and the American College of Surgeons. As the designated burn specialists on the medical team, our physicians provide exceptional care for patients.
For serious burn injuries, go to an emergency department, call your family physician, or call The Legacy Oregon Burn Center where The Oregon Clinic physicians can provide expert burn care. Our doctors are here to help you stay safe and healthy this summer.
Legacy Oregon Burn Center 24-hour Burn Unit: 503-413-4232