Endovenous Laser Ablation Procedure Instructions
- Following the procedure your leg will be tender. You may be as active as your body tolerates. When you feel as though you should rest, please do so and elevate your legs; your physician does not want you to remain inactive after your procedure; a balance between activity and rest is preferable.
- If an ACE wrap is applied over your hose, please remove before bedtime the day of surgery. Wear the compression hose or ACE wrap continuously for 48 hours. After 24 hours, you may remove all gauze and tape and reapply hose.
- At the end of the 48 hours, remove the compression hose or ACE wrap. You may take a shower. Reapply the compression hose or ACE wrap and wear them anytime you are up and around; you do not have to sleep in the hose. Please wear your compression garment for a minimum of 2 weeks following surgery.
- Expect the laser portion of your leg to be the most uncomfortable. This soreness may be immediate, although it may peak 2-4 days after surgery. Some patients experience very little discomfort and are able to resume all normal activity within one week. Other patients may experience soreness that lasts for a few weeks. Normal discomfort will show improvement, even if it is small, every day. We would want a phone call from you if you feel as though your pain is getting worse instead of better. The areas where we removed segments of vein (phlebectomy) will feel like firm knots under your skin. This is normal and will resolve with time.
- If you are prescribed Motrin or another type of anti-inflammatory medicine, take it as directed until it is gone. Please do not take on an empty stomach. If you experience stomach upset, please try taking a 1/2 dose. If the upset continues, stop the medicine and call the office for further instructions.
- Return for your scheduled appointments. The 3-day and one month follow-up appointments are necessary to evaluate the treated vein and confirm that no clots have formed. We will take follow up pictures at your one month appointment.
- Refrain from driving until the day after your procedure.
**Wait at least one week before resuming heavy exercise. Wait two weeks before getting into a cold pool or spa/hot tub. Showers are preferable during the initial two week post-procedure period.