Sarah Boyles, MD
Incontinence and prolapse can have a profound negative effect on a woman's quality of life. Many women do not realize how common these conditions are and that there are treatment options. I enjoy helping women regain control of the issues and improving their quality of life.
Dr. Boyles is board certified in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery and is a Fellow of both the American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology and the American College of Surgeons. She completed her residency at The Ohio State University and her fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU) in Portland, OR.
She is interested in the epidemiology of pelvic floor disorders and has authored some of the most commonly cited articles on the prevalence of these disorders. She is active in urogynecology in both the local and national arenas. She is interested in optimizing outcomes for patients and has helped create patient registries at Providence St. Vincent Medical Center. She has collaborated on the development of research registries for the American Urogynecology Society and is currently developing a national quality registry for this society.
Dr. Boyles has been practicing urogynecology in Portland since 2006. She enjoys providing excellent care to our community as well as being involved with urogynecology at a national level.
- Slings and Suspensions: what’s going on down there?, Providence Nursing Review, Portland, OR, October 2012
- Incontinence surgeries: How do they fail?, Providence Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, Portland, OR, December 2010
- Incontinence and women, Providence Wellness Series, Portland, OR, February 2009.
- Interstitial Cystitis, Update in Stress urinary incontinence., American Congress of Obstetricians and Gynecologists (ACOG) Sunriver, Sunriver, OR, April 2008.
- Update in Stress Urinary Incontinence, Sunriver, OR, April 2008.
- New technology and the thoughtful physician, Fred Miazaki National Pelvic Floor Symposium, Huntington Beach, CA, August 2007.
- Update on Incontinence, Providence Family Medicine residents, June 2007.
- Literature review of prolapse “mesh” kits, GYN division meeting, Providence St. Vincent Medical Center, Portland, OR, May 2007.
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Certificate, Human Investigations, Oregon Health & Science University, 2006
- Fellowship, Urogynecology and Reconstructive Pelvic Surgery, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2006
- Residency, Obstetrics & Gynecology, Ohio State University, Columbus, OH, 2003
- MD, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1999
- MPH, Epidemiology/Biostatistics, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 1998
- BS, Chemical Engineering, Carnegie Mellon University, Pittsburgh, PA, 1994
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors", 2018, 2019
- Gala R, Boyles SH, Sung VW. SGS Research handbook. Female Pelvic Med & Reconstruct Surg 2011 July-Aug;17(4):158-173.
- King VG, Boyles SH, Worstell TR, Zia J, et al. Using the Brink score to predict postpartum anal incontinence. AJOG. 2010; Nov 203(5):486e1-5.
- Weber Lebrun E, Adams RA, Barber Md, Boyles SH, et al. Pelvic Floor Disorders Registry: Study Design and Outcomes Measures;Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg March-April 22(2):70-6.
- Boyles SH, Li H, Mori M, Osterweil P, Guise JM. Effect of mode of delivery on the incidence of urinary incontinence in primiparous women. Obstet Gynecol. 2009 Jan;113(1):134-41.
- Guise JM, Boyles SH, Osterweil P, Li H, Eden KB, Mori M. Does cesarean protect against fecal incontinence in primiparous women. Int Urogynecol. J 2009 Jan;20(1):61-7.
- St. Clair N, Boyles SH, Clark A, Edwards SR, Denman MA, Gregory WT. The presacral space and its impact on sacral neuromodulator implantation.J Urol. 2008 Sep;180(3):988-91.
- Boyles SH, McCrery R. Dyspareunia and mesh erosion after vaginal mesh placement with a kit procedure.Obstet Gynecol. 2008 Apr;111(4):969-75.
- Denman MA, Gregory WT, Boyles SH, Smith V, Edwards SR, Clark AL Reoperation 10 years after surgically managed pelvic organ prolapse and urinary incontinence. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2008 May;198(5):555.e1-5.
- Boyles SH, Gregory WT, Edwards SR, Denman MA, Clark AL. Validating a clinical measure of levator hiatus size. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2007 Feb; 196(2):174.e1-4.
- Boyles SH, Edwards SR, Gregory WT, Clark AL. Complications associated with trans-obturator sling procedures. Int Urogyn J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2007 Jan;18(1):19-22.
- Gregory WT, Boyles SH, Simmons K, Corcoran A, Clark AL. External Anal Sphincter Volume Measurements Using Three-Dimensional Endoanal Ultrasound. Amer J Obstet Gynecol. 2006 April;194(5):1243-8.
- Boyles SH, Edwards R. Incidence of vaginal and bladder erosions after TVT and SPARC procedures. Obstet Gynecol. 2004;103 (4S):89S.
- PL Rosenblatt, SJ Pulliam, R Edwards, Boyles SH. Case report- Suprapubically Assisted Operative Cystoscopy in the Management of Intravesical TVT Synthetic Mesh Segments. Int Urogynecol J Pelvic Floor Dysfunct. 2005 December; 16(6): 509-511.
- Boyles SH, Weber AM, Meyn L. Ambulatory in continence procedures in the United States, 1994-1996. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2004 Jan;190(1):33-6.
- Boyles SH, Weber AM, Meyn L. Incontinence procedures in the United States, 1979-1997. Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 July;189(1):70-5.
- Boyles SH, Weber AM, Meyn L. Procedures for pelvic organ prolapse in the United States, 1979-1997.Am J Obstet Gynecol. 2003 Jan;188(1):108-15.
- Boyles SH, Ness RB, Grisso JA, Markovic N, Bromberger J, CiFelli D. Life event stress and the association with spontaneous abortion in gravid women at an urban emergency department. Health Psychol. 2000 Nov;19(6):510-4.
- O’Toole TP, Hanusa BH, Gibbon JL, Boyles SH. Experiences and attitudes of residents and students influence voluntary service with homeless populations. J Gen Intern Med. 1999 Apr;14(4):211-6.
- Vice Chair of AUGS Quality Committee
- Clinical Assistant Professor, Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU)
- Fellow, American College of Obstetrics and Gynecology, 2008-Present
- Fellow, American College of Surgeons, 2012-Present
- Member, American Urogynecologic Society, 2003-Present
- Member, National Association for Continence
- Member, Society for Gynecologic Surgeons, 2008-Present
- Vice-Chair, American Urogynecology Society
- Member, Providence St. Vincent Medical Center OB/GYN Quality Committee
- Journal Reviewer, International Urogynecology Journal
- Journal Reviewer, British Journal of OB/GYN
- Journal Reviewer, American Journal of Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Journal Reviewer, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Journal Reviewer, Obstetrics & Gynecology