Rebecca Posthuma Batalden, MD
Hippocrates famously wrote, ‘Wherever the art of medicine is loved, there is also a love of humanity.’ There is no truer expression of this than in women’s health. The field of urogynecology empowers women, regardless of age, to live their life to their fullest potential.
Dr. Batalden is a fellowship trained, board certified Urogynecologist. She completed her fellowship in Female Pelvic Medicine & Reconstructive Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital/Harvard Medical School and her residency in Obstetrics, Gynecology & Women’s Health at the University of Minnesota. She specializes in minimally invasive laparoscopic, robotic, and vaginal surgery as well as conservative treatment of pelvic floor issues such as prolapse, urinary incontinence, fistula, and mesh complications.
Prior to fellowship, Dr. Batalden worked for Doctors Without Borders in Africa as well as for Indian Health Services on a Navajo reservation as an Obstetrician Gynecologist. Her experiences in a wide range of health care systems cultivated in her an interest in quality in medicine and surgery. Dr. Batalden’s passion for providing knowledge, empowerment, excellent care, and quality of life to women has been a lifelong pursuit.
Outside of medicine, Dr. Batalden enjoys yoga, kayaking, gardening, traveling and spending time with her family. She is certified as a yoga teacher and speaks Spanish.
Dr. Batalden also does procedures pertaining to:
- Robotic Surgery
- Vaginal Surgery
- Pelvic Floor Disorders
- Vesicovaginal Fistula
- Rectovaginal Fistula
- Mesh Complications
- Native Tissue Prolapse Repair
- Obstetrics and Gynecology
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Fellowship, Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery, Massachusetts General Hospital and Harvard Medical School, Boston, MA, 2015
- Residency, Obstetrics, Gynecology and Women's Health, University of Minnesota, Minneapolis, MN, 2011
- MD, St. Louis University School of Medicine, St. Louis, MO, 2007
- BS, Biochemistry, University of Wisconsin, Madison, WI, 2003
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors", 2017, 2018, 2019, 2020, 2021, 2022
- Foust-Wright CE, Pulliam SJ, Batalden RP, Berk TK, Weinstein MM, Wakamatsu MM, Phillippe M. Hormone Modulation of Toll-Like Receptor 5 in Cultured Human Bladder Epithelial Cells. Reprod Sci. 2016 Sep 20. https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/27651177
- Thomson AP, Foust-Wright CE, Batalden RP, Wakamatsu MM, Pulliam SJ, Weinstein MM. Predictors for Voiding Trial Failure after Minimally Invasive Sacrocolpopexy. Obstet Gynecol Int J. 2015 Nov 6.
- Foust-Wright CE, Pilliod RA, Weinstein MM, Johnson AM, Batalden RP, Pulliam SJ. Uterine Pathology in Hysterectomies Performed for Treatment of Pelvic Organ Prolapse. Advances in Cancer Prevention. 2015 Nov 5.
- Napoe GS, Foust-Wright CE, Pulliam SJ, Melamed A, Batalden RP, Berkowitz LR. Confidence in Repair of Obstetric Anal Sphincter Injuries and Objective Assessment in Obstetricians. Clin Obstet Gynecol Reprod Med, 2015 1(4): 110-112.
- Thomson AP, Foust-Wright CE, Batalden RP, Berkowitz LR. Levatorplasty for symptomatic posterior prolapse due to recurrent malignant ascites. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2015 Feb 27. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25730437
- Aviki EM, Batalden RP, del Carmen MG, Berkowitz LR. Vacuum-Assisted Closure for episiotomy dehiscence. Obstet Gynecol. 2015 April 28. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25923027
- Batalden RP, Weinstein MM, Foust-Wright CE, Alperin M, Wakamatsu MM, Pulliam SJ. Clinical application of the IUGA/ICS classification system for mesh erosion. Neurourol Urodyn. 2015 April 14. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/25874639
- Posthuma R, Bailey A. Pelvic Pain. Essential of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation, 3rd Ed. Elsevier. July 2014.
- Ghebre R, Posthuma R, Vogel RI, Geller MA, Carson LF. Effect of age and comorbidity on the treatment and survival of older patients with vulvar cancer. Gynecol Oncol. 2011 Jun 1;121 (3):595-9. http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/21402401
- American Urogynecologic Association
- American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Registered Yoga Teacher 200-hour Yoga Alliance