Michael Schmitt, MD
I am passionate about providing patient-centered care and restoring form and function to the human body through plastic surgery.
Dr. Schmitt decided to pursue the field of plastic surgery because of the breadth of operations performed in this specialty, from facial cosmetic surgery to gender affirming surgery and hand surgery. Dr. Schmitt is passionate about empowering patients through patient-centered care to create a positive patient-physician relationship during the entire surgical experience. He enjoys working with patients to create the ideal surgical plan during the initial consult, carrying it out in the operating room in a meticulous manner, and seeing the positive impact during follow up appointments.
Dr. Schmitt loves the diversity and progressive nature of Portland. He is also a big fan of the Portland Trailblazers and, of course, Portland's food scene.
- Residency, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2022
- MD, University of Washington School of Medicine, Seattle, WA, 2016
- BS, University of Montana, Missoula, MT, 2010
- Schmitt M, Recidoro AM, Roof AC, Worton LE, Petrie T, Strand N, Ausk BJ, Srinivasan S, Moon RT, Gardiner EM, Kaminsky W, Bain SD, Allan CH, Gross TS, Kwon RY. Botulinum toxin induces muscle paralysis and inhibits bone regeneration in zebrafish. J Bone Miner Res. 2014 Nov;29(11):2346-56. doi: 10.1002/jbmr.2274. PMID: 24806738; PMCID: PMC5108653.Sood RF, Kamenko S, McCreary E, Sather BK.
- Schmitt M, Peterson SL, Lipira AB. Diagnosing Systemic Amyloidosis Presenting as Carpal Tunnel Syndrome: A Risk Nomogram to Guide Biopsy at Time of Carpal Tunnel Release. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2021 Jul 21;103(14):1284-1294. doi: 10.2106/JBJS.20.02093. PMID: 34097669.
- Danker S, Schmitt M, Smith N, Chong HJ, Sandholm PH, Murphy JA, Ladizinsky DA. Bostwick autoderm and implant technique: Improved outcomes for obese patients in immediate breast reconstruction. Plast Reconstr Surg. 2021 Feb 1;147(2):187e-195e. doi: 10.1097/PRS.0000000000007515. PMID: 33165289.
- Member, American Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, Northwest Society of Plastic Surgeons
- Member, American Society for Surgery of the Hand
- Member, American College of Surgeons