Bhumy Davé Heliker, MD, FACOG, FPMRS
I deeply enjoy getting to know each patient and working together to find the treatment option that is right for her.
Dr. Heliker is a fellowship-trained, board-certified urogynecologist who offers conservative options, clinic procedures, and surgeries (robotic, vaginal, and laparoscopic) for the treatment of pelvic floor disorders. She is passionate about advocating for women and restoring quality of life—allowing women to live without the worry and discomfort that often arises from incontinence and prolapse.
When caring for patients, she often thinks of Sir William Osler's quote: "A good physician treats the disease but a great physician treats the patient who has the disease." She believes the work done in Urogynecology can transform the day-to-day lives of patients, and she is grateful to be part of this field.
In addition to pelvic floor disorders, she has particular expertise in postpartum neuromuscular recovery, including third- and fourth-degree lacerations. Her work has led to several articles and chapters on childbirth injury. She also has a strong interest in global health with volunteer work in Zambia, Swaziland, and most recently Rwanda.
Dr. Heliker loves the outdoors and the natural beauty in Portland. Bhumy means 'the soil of the Earth' in Sanskrit, so the strong environmental backbone of Portland is a perfect match for her. Outside of work, Dr. Heliker likes to spend time with her partner, toddler, and dog in the wild: camping, hiking, running, climbing, and doing yoga.
Education & Honors
- Female Pelvic Medicine and Reconstructive Surgery
- Obstetrics & Gynecology
- Fellowship, Northwestern University, Evanston, IL, 2017
- Residency, Stanford University, Palo Alto, CA, 2014
- MD, University of Pittsburgh, Pittsburgh, PA, 2010
- BA, Washington University, St. Louis, MO, 2005
- Clinical Assistant Professor, University of California, Irvine 2017-2021
- American Urogynecologic Society, Education Committee 2017-2019
- APGO Leaders and Scholars 2020-2021
- Assistant Program Director of Surgical Education 2019-2021
- OR Executive Committee, University of California, Irvine 2017-2020
- Robotic Steering Committee, St. Joseph’s Hospital 2017-2019
- Super Doctors Rising Stars Award, 2021
- APGO Leaders and Scholars Award, 2019
- Best Medical Student Clerkship Award (Assistant Clerkship Director), 2017
- Excellence in Medical Student Education Teaching Award, 2015
- AGC/ RCOG Fellowship—Pelvic Floor Endoanal and Vaginal Ultrasound, 2014
- Stanford University Hospital: Award for Surgical Excellence, 2014
- Alpha Omega Alpha, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine, 2009
- Summa Cum Laude, Washington University in St. Louis, 2005
- Heliker BD, Kenton K, Leader-Cramer A, Brown O, Bochenska K, Geynisman-Tan J, Mueller M, Lewicky-Gaupp C. Adding Insult to Injury: Levator Ani Avulsion in Women With Obstetric Anal Sphincter Injuries. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2020 Nov 16. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000954. Epub. PMID: 33208651.
- Heliker BD, Kenton K, Komar A, Mueller MG, Lewicky-Gaupp C, Abernethy M. Treat or Wait? Natural Perioperative Course of Overactive Bladder Symptoms at the Time of Midurethral Sling Placement. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2021 Feb 1;27(2):e348-e351. doi: 10.1097/SPV.0000000000000927. PMID: 32947550.
- Buono K, Davé-Heliker B. Mechanical inserts for the treatment of faecal incontinence: A systematic review. Arab J Urol. 2019 Apr 8;17(1):69-76. PMCID: PMC6583709. https://doi.org/10.1080/2090598X.2019.1589776
- Smithling KR, Adams-Piper EE, Tran A AM, Davé BA, Chu CM, Chan RC, Antosh DD, Gutman RE. Efficacy of Repeat Midurethral Sling for Persistent or Recurrent Stress Urinary Incontinence: A Fellows Pelvic Research Network Study. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jul 11. Nov/Dec 2019;25(6):430-433. PMID: 30694873. https://journals.lww.com/jpelvicsurgery/Abstract/2019/11000/Efficacy_of_Repeat_Midurethral_Sling_for.6.aspx
- Geynisman-Tan J, Kenton K, Leader-Cramer A, Dave B, Bochenska K, Mueller M, Collins SA, Lewicky-Gaupp C. Anal Penetrative Intercourse as a Risk Factor for Fecal Incontinence. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018 May/Jun;24(3):252-255. PMID: 28248849. https://journals.lww.com/jpelvicsurgery/Abstract/2018/05000/Anal_Penetrative_Intercourse_as_a_Risk_Factor_for.10.aspx
- Geynisman-Tan J, Dave-Heliker B, Bochenska K, Collins S, Lewicky-Gaupp C, Mueller M, Kenton K. Duration of Catheterization After Retropubic Midurethral Sling. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018 Mar 5. 2019 Sep/Oct;25(5):369-371. PMID: 29509646. https://journals.lww.com/jpelvicsurgery/Abstract/2019/09000/Duration_of_Catheterization_After_Retropubic.8.aspx
- Geynisman-Tan J, Brown O, Mueller M, Leader-Cramer A, Dave B, Bochenska K, Collins S, Lewicky-Gaupp C, Kenton K. Changing Referral Patterns to Urogynecology. Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2018 Jan/Feb;24(1):48-50. PMID: 28430727. https://journals.lww.com/jpelvicsurgery/Abstract/2018/01000/Changing_Referral_Patterns_to_Urogynecology.9.aspx
- Davé BA, Boller AM. Mesh-Is Less More? JAMA Surg. 2017 Mar 1;152(3):263-264. PMID: 27902812.
- Davé BA, Jaber C, Leader-Cramer A, Higgins N, Mueller M, Lewicky-Gaupp C, Kenton K. Effect of anesthesia type on perioperative outcomes with a midurethral sling. Int Urogynecol J. 2016 Sep;27(9):1327-32. PMID: 26811113.
- Davé BA, Leader-Cramer A, Mueller M, Johnson LL, Kenton K, Lewicky-Gaupp C. Anal Sphincter Injuries After Operative Vaginal Versus Spontaneous Delivery-Is There a Difference in Postpartum Symptoms? Female Pelvic Med Reconstr Surg. 2016 Jul-Aug;22(4):194-8. PMID: 26945270.
- IOWD- Rwanda for surgical and conservative care of women with fistulas.
- Member, American Urogynecologic Society
- Member, American College of Obstetricians and Gynecologists
- Member, Association of Professors of Gynecology and Obstetrics
Dr. Heliker has been a superb health care provider. She was professional, friendly, and easily communicated my treatment options to me.
Dr. Heliker is an amazing doctor and surgeon, and I cannot recommend her highly enough. Thank you, Dr. H., for all your excellent, kind, and skilled care!
Dr. Bhumy has the best bedside manners I've ever experienced. She is thorough, sensitive, patient, simply the best.
Dr. Heliker and her staff the nurse and everybody around her are fantastic. I cannot say greater praise for her professionalism her warmth her caring and kindness. I am very, very happy with her as my OBGYN.
Dr. Heliker and her assistant were very kind and put me at ease. I have a lot of concerns about my health, but I felt confident in the treatment provided and have faith in any ongoing treatment that may be needed.