Amy Wang, MD, FASGE
"Being able to practice as a physician has been a wonderful experience, and I cannot imagine doing anything else as a career. As a gastroenterologist, it has been an honor to play a role in the most personal and life-changing events in people’s lives. I believe that the relationship created between the patient and his/her physician is paramount to exceptional care, and together we can work in a collaborative manner to provide the best outcomes."
Dr. Wang is a native Midwesterner from St. Louis, Missouri. She received her Bachelor’s of Science degree in Biology at Duke University. She attended medical school at the University of Illinois-Chicago where she earned membership of the Alpha Omega Alpha Honor Medical Society. She completed her internship/residency training in internal medicine at Washington University in St. Louis and her gastroenterology fellowship at Oregon Health and Science University (OHSU). She has been an active participant of the American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ASGE), where she served as a member of the Research, Technology, and Standards of Practice Committees. Prior to joining the Oregon Clinic, she practiced at OHSU (2008-2010) and then at Northwest Permanente (2010-2016) where she was chief of the GI division during her last year. She was named a Portland Monthly Top Doctor in 2016.
Dr. Wang is married and has two children. She maintains her wellness by spending time with her family as well as through running, spinning, and playing tennis.
Education & Honors
- Fellowship, Gastroenterology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2008
- Internship and Residency, Internal Medicine, Barnes-Jewish Hospital/Washington University, St. Lewis, MO, 2005
- MD, University of Illinois College of Medicine, Chicago, IL, 2002
- BS, Biology, Cum Laude, Duke University, Durham, NC, 1998
- Chief of Gastroenterology Division, Kaiser Permanente, September 2015 - present
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors", 2019, 2020
- Award recipient at the ACG Fellow’s Forum, June 2006
- Presenter at Internal Medicine Grand Rounds, “A Review of the Tuskegee Experiment and Its Implications for Today’s Physicians,” August 2004
- Award recipient of AMWA Janet M. Glasgow Memorial Achievement Citation
- Wang A, Banerjee S, Barth BA, Bhat YM, Chauhan S, Gottlieb KT, Konda V, Maple JT, Murad F, Pfau PR, Pleskow DK, Siddiqui UD, Tokar JL, Rodriguez SA. Wireless capsule endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2013;78:805-15.
- Wang A, Hoda KM, Holub JL, Eisen GM. Does level of sedation impact detection of advanced neoplasia? Dig Dis Sci 2010;55:2337-43.
- Wang A, Mattek NC, Corless CL, Lieberman DA, Eisen GM. The value of traditional upper endoscopy as a diagnostic test for Barrett's esophagus. Gastrointest Endosc 2008;68:859-66.
- Wang A, Pleskow DK, Banerjee S, Barth BA, Bhat YM, Desilets DJ, Gottlieb KT, Maple JT, Pfau PR, Siddiqui UD, Tokar JL, Song LM, Rodriguez SA. Esophageal function testing. Gastrointest Endosc 2012;76:231-43.
- Wang A, Shaukat A, Acosta RD, Bruining DH, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Eloubeidi MA, Fanelli RD, Faulx AL, Fonkalsrud L, Gurudu SR, Kelsey LR, Khashab MA, Kothari S, Lightdale JR, Muthusamy VR, Pasha S, Saltzman JR, Yang J, Cash BD, DeWitt JM. Race and ethnicity considerations in GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2015;82:593-9.
- Acosta RD, Abraham NS, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Early DS, Eloubeidi MA, Evans JA, Faulx AL, Fisher DA, Fonkalsrud L, Hwang JH, Khashab MA, Lightdale JR, Muthusamy VR, Pasha SF, Saltzman JR, Shaukat A, Shergill AK, Wang A, Cash BD, DeWitt JM. The management of antithrombotic agents for patients undergoing GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2016;83:3-16.
- Cash BD, Acosta RD, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Eloubeidi MA, Fanelli RD, Faulx AL, Fonkalsrud L, Khashab MA, Lightdale JR, Muthusamy VR, Pasha SF, Saltzman JR, Shaukat A, Wang A. The role of endoscopy in the management of constipation. Gastrointest Endosc 2014;80:563-5
- Khashab MA, Chithadi KV, Acosta RD, Bruining DH, Chandrasekhara V, Eloubeidi MA, Fanelli RD, Faulx AL, Fonkalsrud L, Lightdale JR, Muthusamy VR, Pasha SF, Saltzman JR, Shaukat A, Wang A, Cash BD. Antibiotic prophylaxis for GI endoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2015;81:81-9
- Muthusamy VR, Lightdale JR, Acosta RD, Chandrasekhara V, Chathadi KV, Eloubeidi MA, Fanelli RD, Fonkalsrud L, Faulx AL, Khashab MA, Saltzman JR, Shaukat A, Wang A, Cash B, DeWitt JM. The role of endoscopy in the management of GERD. Gastrointest Endosc 2015;81:1305-10
- Saltzman JR, Cash BD, Pasha SF, Early DS, Muthusamy VR, Khashab MA, Chathadi KV, Fanelli RD, Chandrasekhara V, Lightdale JR, Fonkalsrud L, Shergill AK, Hwang JH, Decker GA, Jue TL, Sharaf R, Fisher DA, Evans JA, Foley K, Shaukat A, Eloubeidi MA, Faulx AL, Wang A, Acosta RD. Bowel preparation before colonoscopy. Gastrointest Endosc 2015;81:781-94
- OHSU, volunteer staff for outpatient fellow’s clinic
- American Society for Gastrointestinal Endoscopy, Committee Member, 2009 - present