25 Years of Specialty Medicine & Exceptional Care
Twenty-five years ago, a small group of private practice physicians had a bold idea: collaborate to build their own specialty medical practice, run and owned by physicians. The goal was to create a structure where physicians could collaborate on the logistics of running a medical practice, freeing them up individually to focus more on the needs of their patients.
The physicians at these six specialty practices all valued giving their patients individualized care and wanted to retain their independence and autonomy in their work. But they also saw the benefit in collaborating on employee training, medical billing, IT support, marketing, benefits management and more. By joining together to create a large multi-specialty practice, they could reduce the time needed for administrative work and free up more time for patient visits, research work and medical leadership. In 1994, they formed The Oregon Clinic.
What started as a group of 40 physicians has grown to more than 270 medical providers. In the past ten years, 17 new specialty groups have joined, more than doubling the number of employees within the organization. The Oregon Clinic’s locations have spread beyond Portland to include Hillsboro, Newberg, Gresham, and Clackamas, now totaling more than 60 medical office locations.
Over the past 25 years, The Oregon Clinic has grown from a small group of six medical practices to one of the largest medicine practices in the country. Today, The Oregon Clinic is a patient-centered, data-driven, professional medical and surgical specialty practice that serves patients throughout the Portland, Oregon metropolitan area.
Key Dates in The Oregon Clinic’s History:
- 1994: Six private practice medical specialty groups form The Oregon Clinic
- 2001: A new group of physicians joins The Oregon Clinic, the first of many new private groups to join
- 2006: The Oregon Clinic opened the Gateway Medical Center. The LEED Gold certified medical office houses multiple medical specialties, The Oregon Clinic’s state-of-the-art imaging center, and several administrative offices.
- 2016: The Oregon Clinic hires its 1,000th employee
- 2016: The Oregon Clinic registers as an Oregon Benefit Company, publicly declaring its commitment to supporting staff, patients, and community. This corporate status identifies companies that aim to make a positive impact on society and the environment.
- 2017: The Oregonian named The Oregon Clinic the #1 Top Workplace among large businesses in the state.
- 2019: The Oregon Clinic celebrates its 25th anniversary!