Michael H. Bourne, MD
I feel honored to be involved in the lives of patients and their families during some of the most difficult moments of their lives. The chance to provide them with answers, medical treatment, and acknowledgment of their suffering is a special part of my job.
Dr. Bourne has always loved physiology and pulmonary critical care as it requires an in-depth understanding of something as basic and fundamental as breathing. He finds it gratifying to help those who have been affected by respiratory diseases find answers and relief.
Dr. Bourne’s favorite part of his job is the ability to connect deeply with another human in their suffering and extend relief, answers, and hope. He says: “Pulmonary and critical care allows you to rapidly make a difference in patients’ lives with an ever-expanding arsenal of medications and procedures to diagnose and treat a variety of difficult diseases.”
Outside of work, Dr. Bourne likes to spend time with his wife and two children, cook, play music, and read. He also enjoys getting outside and backcountry skiing, mountain biking, and river rafting.
- Pulmonary Medicine
- Critical Care Medicine
- Fellowship, Pulmonary and Critical Care, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2019
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2016
- MD, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 2013
- BS, Brigham Young University, Provo, UT, 2008
- Allied Health Staff Choice Award, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2019
- Bekele Afessa Quality Improvement Award, Mayo Clinic, Rochester, MN, 2018
- Internal Medicine Outstanding Achievement Award, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN, 2016
- Attitude, Commitment & Excellence Award, Mayo School of Graduate Medical Education, Rochester, MN, 2014, 2016
- Office of Medical Education Summer Research Award, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 2010
- Ziegler Award for Anatomy, University of Rochester School of Medicine and Dentistry, Rochester, NY, 2009
- Bourne MH, Kottom T, Limper A. Synergistic Drug Combination of Nintedanib and Vardenafil Inhibits Fibrosis in AKR-2B Fibroblasts. European Respiratory Journal. 2018; Abstract no. OA5360.
- Thompson G, Bourne MH, Moura M, Baqir, M, Makol A, Koster M, Warrington K, Ytterberg S, Specks U. Prevalence of Pleuritis and Pericarditis in ANCA-Associated Vasculitis. CHEST. 2018; 154:1019A - 1020A.
- Bourne MH, Edell ES. Utility of transbronchial biopsy in management decisions among immunocompromised patients with pulmonary processes. American Journal Of Respiratory And Critical Care Medicine. 2018; 197:A5017
- Bourne MH Jr, Balakrishnan K, Kern R. A curious bronchoscopic finding in a patient with tracheal submucosal lymphovenous malformation. American Journal Of Respiratory And Critical Care Medicine. 2019 Feb 15;199(4):e26-e27
- Chae J, Bourne MH Jr., McCambridge AJ. Inhaler Device Selection and Technique. Best of ATS Video Lecture Series.2018
- Bourne MH Jr, Scanlon PD, Schroeder DR, Olson EJ. The sawtooth sign is predictive of obstructive sleep apnea. Sleep Breath. 2017 May; 21 (2):469-474
- Bourne MH Jr, Fussner LA, Carmona EM. 46-Year-Old Man With Jaundice and Hypoxemia. Mayo Clin Proc. 2016 Dec; 91 (12):1834-1839
- Bourne MH Jr, Sekiguchi H. Two Patients With Hypotension and Respiratory Distress. CHEST. 2016 Feb; 149 (2):e41-e43
- Narula N, Bourne MH Jr, Bhagra A. Immunosuppression and a serious opportunistic infection: an unfortunate price to pay. BMJ Case Rep. 2015 Jul 7; 2015
- Boy Scouts of America
- Member, American College of Chest Physicians (CHEST)
- Member, American Thoracic Society
- Member, European Respiratory Society