Rodger A. Sleven, MD
I believe in looking at digestive diseases from the standpoint of the whole person as well as the impact the disease has on quality of life. We have to remember that digestive problems can involve abnormalities of function in addition to abnormalities in structure; sometimes listening to a patient is of greater value than doing more tests. I strive to keep in mind that an outstanding gastroenterologist should combine an attention to these principles along with excellence in endoscopic skills.
Dr. Sleven graduated from the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF). He completed his Internship and Residency in internal medicine at Oregon Health & Science University (OHSU). After completing Internal Medicine training, Dr. Sleven spent an extra year as Chief Resident at St. Vincent Hospital and Medical Center. He then returned to OHSU to complete his specialty training fellowship. Dr. Sleven focuses on educating patients about their digestive system to promote better health. He has a strong interest in colon cancer screening and prevention; addressing heartburn and acid conditions; advanced inflammatory bowel disease (IBD), Hepatitis C education and treatment, and many other gastroenterology needs at The Oregon Clinic Gastroenterology - West. He was featured several times in Portland Monthly Magazine's "Top Doctors," and has won a number of teaching awards. While at Providence St. Vincent, he has served as Medical Director of Endoscopy, Chairman of the Gastroenterology Section, and a member of the hospital's Medical Executive Committee. He is a Clinical Assistant Professor in the Department of Medicine, Division of Gastroenterology at OHSU. Dr. Sleven also holds additional faculty positions at Pacific University College of Health Professions, and Western University College of Osteopathic Medicine of the Pacific-Northwest. He also previously served as a Clinical Instructor for the Division of Emergency Medicine at OHSU. Currently, he serves as the Medical Director of Quality Assurance at The Oregon Clinic Gastroenterology - West.
Avid Scuba Diver.
Enjoys gardening, reading, traveling and bragging about his children.
- Internal Medicine
- Fellowship, Gastroenterology, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1982
- Chief Resident, Internal Medicine, Providence St. Vincent Hospital, Portland, OR, 1980
- Residency, Internal Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1979
- Internship, Internal Medicine, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 1977
- MD, University of California San Francisco, San Francisco, CA, 1976
- BS, University of California Los Angeles, Los Angeles, CA, 1972
- Magna Cum Laude, University of California Los Angeles (UCLA), 1972
- Teacher of the Year, Providence St. Vincent Hospital and Legacy Emanuel Hospital
- Portland Monthly Magazine "Top Doctors," 2008
- Portland Monthly Magazine "Top Doctors," 2009
- Portland Monthly Magazine "Top Doctors," 2013
- Portland Monthly Magazine, "Top Doctors," 2015
- Member, American Gastroenterological Association
- Member, American Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy
- Member, Medical Society of Metropolitan Portland