Miguel Gomez, MD, FACC
Areas of Focus:
Coronary Artery Disease
Congestive Heart Failure
Dr Miguel Gomez graduated from the University of Michigan Medical School in Ann Arbor Michigan. He then completed his internship and residency in Internal Medicine at University of Washington in Seattle. He completed a Cardiology fellowship at the University of Utah in Salt Lake City. He then went into private practice in New Orleans for 5 years before returning to the pacific northwest here in the Portland area. He is board-certified in Internal Medicine and Cardiology. He is described as a invasive noninterventional cardiologist whose focus is in general cardiology in the prevention, diagnosis and treatment of adult cardiac disorders including but not limited to coronary artery disease, congestive heart failure, arrhythmias and hyperlipidemia.
Outside of the office, Dr. Gomez enjoys music, sports, movies, and wine tasting.
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Internal Medicine
Education & Training:
- Fellowship, University of Utah, Salt Lake City, UT, 1995
- Internship and Residency, University of Washington Affiliated Hospitals Seattle, WA, 1989
- MD, University of Michigan Medical School, Ann Arbor, MI, 1986
- BA, Biology, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale, IL, 1982
- Gomez MA, Anderson JL, Karagounis LA,Muhlestein JB and Mooers FB for the ROMIO Study Group, an Emergency Based Rapid Rule-Out Protocol Reduces Hospital Times and Cost: Results of a Randomized Study (ROMIO). JACC 1996; 28:25-33.
- Muhlestein JB, Gomez MA, Karagounis LA, Anderson JL. "Rescue Reo Pro": Acute Utilization of Abciximab for the Dissoution of Coronary Thrombus as a Complication of Coronary Angioplasty. Circulation 1995;9.
- Gomez MA, Anderson JL, Karagounis LA and Mooers FB, for the ROMIO Study Group, Reduced Hospital lime and Cost Using an Emergency Room Based Rapid Rule-Out Myocardial lschmia Protocol: Results of the ROMIO Study, Phase I. Circulation 1994; 90:1-324.
- Anderson JL, Gomez MA, Karagounis LA. Challenges of Thrombolytic Therapy: Very Early Thrombolysis for Acute Myocardial Infarction. AmJ Cardiology 1993;11:5-12.
- Gomez MA, Karagounis LA, Allen A, and Anderson JL. Effect of Cigarette Smoking on Coronary Patency after Thrombolytic Therapy for Myocardial Infarction. AmJ Cardiology 1993; 72:373-78.
- Gomez MA, Karagounis LA, Anderson JL. Does an Allergic-type Reaction to Streptokinase or Anistreplase Affect Patency Status Following Thrombolysis for Acute Myocardial Infarction. JACC 1993; 21 :348A.
- Gomez MA. Thrombolytic Therapy for Pulmonary Embolus. The Independent 1990; 2:8.
- Gomez MA. Salient Aspects of Cocaine Abuse. The Independent 1990; 1 ;10.
- Dicarlo LA, Gomez MA, Morady F. Factors Predicting Safe Early Hospital Discharge After Treatment of Ventricular Tachycardia or Ventricular Fibrillation with Amiodarone. JACC 1987; 9:47A.
- Member, American Medical Association
- Member, Fellow American College of Cardiology