Joseph McClellan, MD
I believe that a strong patient/physician relationship is key to providing high-quality surgical care.
Disorders of the ears, nose and throat play a big role in our ability to interact with the world around us. As an otolaryngologist (ear, nose and throat specialist), Dr. McClellan enjoys working with patients to develop treatment plans that help restore these functions.
Dr. McClellan came to Portland from North Carolina to complete his surgical training. He loves Portland’s vibrant community, great food, and proximity to amazing outdoor activities.
Outside of work, Dr. McClellan enjoys playing music with friends, hiking, surfing and camping with family.
- Residency, Oregon Health & Science University, Portland, OR, 2020
- MD, University of North Carolina, School of Medicine, Chapel Hill, NC, 2015
- BS, University of North Carolina, Chapel Hill, NC, 2010
- Resident Temporal Bone Dissection Award, OHSU, 2018
- Alpha Omega Alpha, 2014
- John B. Graham Student Research Society, University of North Carolina, 2014
- Phi Beta Kappa, 2009
- McClellan JH, Nguyen A, Hamilton B, Jethanamest D, Hullar TE, Gupta S. Stapes Surgery Outcomes in Patients with Concurrent Otosclerosis and Superior Semicircular Canal Dehiscence. Otology and Neurotology. 2020 Aug; 41(7):912-915.
- McClellan JH, Ewing HE, Gupta S. Squamous Papilloma of the External Auditory Canal. Otology and Neurotology. 2018 Jun; 39 (5): e413-e15.
- McClellan JH, Achim V, Clayburgh D. Small Bowel Obstruction after Transoral Robotic Surgery. Head and Neck. 2018 Jan;40(1):E9-E12.
- McClellan JH, Formeister EJ, Merwin III WH, Dillon MT, Calloway N, Iseli CE, Buchman CA, Fitzpatrick DC, Adunka OF. Round Window Electrocochleography and Speech Perception Outcomes in Adult Cochlear Implant Subjects: Comparison with Audiometric and Biographical Information. Otology and Neurotology. 2014 Oct; 35(9):e245-52.
- Formeister EJ, McClellan JH, Merwin III WH, Iseli CE, Teagle HFB, Buchman CA, Fitzpatrick DC, Adunka OF. Intraoperative Round Window Electrocochleography and Speech Perception Outcomes in Pediatric Cochlear Implant Recipients. Ear and Hearing. 2014 September 25.
- Roh-Johnson M, Shemer G, Higgins CD, McClellan JH, Werts AD, Tulu US, Gao L, Betzig E, Kiehart DP, Goldstein B. Triggering a Cell Shape Change by Exploiting Pre-Existing Actomyosin Contractions. Science. 2012 March 9; 335(6073): 1232–1235.
- Member, American Academy of Otolaryngology/ Head and Neck Surgery
- Member, Association for Research in Otolaryngology
- Member, Oregon Academy of Otolaryngology
- Member, Gold Humanism Honor Society