Breast Augmentation & Implants
Breast augmentation, which is technically referred to as augmentation mammoplasty, is a surgical procedure to enhance the size and shape of a woman's breast. The reason women choose this procedure varies, but usually falls into one of these categories:
- To enhance the body shape of a women who feels her breasts are too small;
- To restore breast size and volume following a weight loss or pregnancy;
- To achieve improved symmetry when breasts are disproportionate in size and shape;
- To improve the shape of breasts that have lost firmness or are sagging;
- When a breast has been removed or altered by surgery to treat breast cancer, breast augmentation can provide the foundation of a breast shape
- To enhance the appearance or create the appearance of a breast that is missing or altered due to trauma, heredity, or congenital abnormalities.
Some patients need their breast implants removed or replaced, for medical reasons or personal choice. Often a cosmetic procedure is performed during or after the surgery, either replacement with another implant or a breast lift (mastopexy) procedure.